Re: [pyrnet] RE: Herding dogs and Guardian dogs and birds.

dogs should not, in general, be allowed to corner chickens and pin them down
    Thank you for the reference, Linda.  I will read that article about Pyrs and chickens.   Ombre is our first Grt Pyr and we're still learning what to expect from her.
    As I originally said to Janna, Ombre's litter was raised with chickens and she has never touched one or ours.  When a chicken escapes it's pen, she maneuvers her body in a manner which causes the chicken to flee in a direction specifically toward the gate of the appropriate pen. I mistakenly used the term "herding" to describe this behavior; which, by the way, came as a pleasant surprise to us.
    Although the chicken pens are within the confines of her domain in the fenced area, she exercises this behavior only when a chicken escapes it's pen; but she is not charged with the responsibility of 24/7 flock confinement, which I would consider real "herding".  We have 38 chickens and 4 pens. I think she knows which chickens belong in which pen.
    I believe that dogs in general, are a lot like people in general; some are just smarter than others, or have more useful skills and talents.

Nancy