Re: [pyrnet] Re: FOUND PYRS

Yes, I have issues with abandoned dogs as well.
The adult was left in the night drop of a "no-kill" shelter, and the puppy was left at the county pound, where they euthanize 80 animals EVERYDAY.
The "no-kill" shelter called the county pound to pick up the large, aggressive, white dog.
(it's easy to be a no-kill shelter when you can call the county pound to do the dirty work for you) that way you can raise more funds for yourself leading people to believe that all of your dogs are placed in loving homes.

I also no longer have issues with the "night drop", which is a safe alternative to the highways, trains, intracoastal, etc.   At least the well-meaning average Mr. Joe Public, who may not be able to house a found, stray dog overnight can use the night drop to keep the animal out of harm's way.

I rescued a shell of a dog who I named Tonka, a male Pyr, 26 mos. ago from a lady in a trailer with no electricity and no water.  I kept Tonka for 363 days and he was adopted to a couple that seemed to love him and had recently lost their 12 y/o Pyr to cancer.  They kept Tonka for 14 months and two weeks ago called me at the last minute to ask if he could stay with me for four days.  (he had stayed here at Christmas when they went to London).  I always welcome my rescues back for boarding as an alternative to crates in a vet's office and said that I would have appreciated more than 12 hours notice, but of course he could stay.
Now, I have not heard from the people in 8 days, he was supposed to have been picked up ten days ago, their home number has been disconnected, and I am assuming they will not be back for him.  I am grateful that he is here and was not left in a night drop or anywhere else.  My placements are required to come back to me if there is ever an issue of them not being able to keep them anymore.   The man left a message on my answering machine 8 days ago and said he would be by "in a day or two" to pick Tonka up.  Has not returned my phone calls to his cell phone and lives in a gated community, so I am not even able to drive by the house and investigate...(which brings up the question for you other rescue orgs, do you have part of your contract, when adopting to a home in a gated community, some kind of authorization to gain access to the home?)

I will never understand why people do the things they do.
Regards,

Lisa
Oliver (Beardie), Derby (Aussie), Jelly (Tibetan Terrier), Taffy (Kuvasz)
Sophie, CeeCee, Tonka, Cubbie, & TrixieSueFrances (Great Pyrenees)
ALL RESCUED!
Oliver's House, Incorporated - 561.379.8328 - oliverslb@aol.com
"Dedicated to the rescue, rehabililitation, and placement of dogs in Palm Beach County"