[pyrnet] Puppy begins BARKING - on camping trip.. suggestions?

Well, 5 month old Sampson went on his first camping trip over memorial weekend.  we took our trailer and my daughter and her friend had a tent.  He was great and loved "splatting" around in the water.. but.. I think the change and a bit of seaweed-eating caused a major case of the runs.. I had yogurt and we got through that.

And... as I noticed w/ our other Pyrs.. it seems like Pyrs don't really know what to do in this situation.. "what do I guard" - "what do I bark at".. he tended to bark at everything.  He was tied just outside the trailer.. had chew toys and his crate and of course lots of attention.  So... I find I need a plan here.  I may also need a plan at home in the pasture.. I understand a lot of folks just go out when their pyr is waking the dead and acknowledge "good boy - ok.. I've checked, now you can be quiet."

How do I manage the barking... it has just started.  I began on this trip consistently saying "shhhh... quiet dog" (esp. since my trainer said it would bring a positive image of him NOT barking... as opposed to saying NO BARK.  Since I'm clicker training I did click/treat some quiet times, but this can't be done all the time of course.

Soooo... looking for your thoughts.

Linda Anderson
nightsky farm
stanwood, Wash.