Re: [pyrnet] GPCPS Rescue Handout

Thanks, Linda. Great Info.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Linda Weisser" <lmweisser@comcast.net>
To: "pyr net" <pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 06, 2005 9:03 AM
Subject: [pyrnet] GPCPS Rescue Handout

On one side along with our club logo:

THE GREAT PYRENEES CLUB OF PUGET SOUND

RESCUE INFORMATION

YOUR CLUB RESCUE CONTACT IS:

Name:
Phone:
Email:

------------------------

On the other side:

THE CLUB

The Great Pyrenees Club of Puget Sound has an active rescue program. Our club
contact for your area is listed on this card. We would appreciate knowing if a
Great Pyrenees comes into your shelter. We are always glad to help you with any
Great Pyrenees that comes in. If the dog is a pick up the club may be able to
help in locating the owner. Our breeder members are required to assume
responsibility for any dog they have bred.

If you are unable to find a suitable home for the dog, the club will be glad to
take it in to rescue. Our rescue policy requires that all dogs that we place be
spayed or neutered before placement.

We are glad to provide support for anyone who adopts a Great Pyrenees from you.
Please feel free to give them the name and information of the person listed on
this card.

THE BREED

There are several important things to know about Great Pyrenees before you place
them.

1. Without an adequate fence Great Pyrenees will not stay on their property. No
amount of boundary training will prevent this. Buried electric fence is
generally not effective with these dogs.

2. They are strong willed, independent and not easily trained. In general they
do not come when called and therefore cannot be trusted off lead anywhere
outside of a fenced area.

3. They BARK, especially at night. This can create large problems for dogs in
urban or suburban areas. In those settings, the dogs generally cannot be left
outside at night.

4. They are generally same sex dog aggressive with other dogs of large breeds.
This is especially true with other Great Pyrenees. Females are better than
males, but are also capable of this same sex aggression. It is generally unwise
to place a Great Pyrenees in a household with a large dog of the same sex.

5. Great Pyrenees are at heart guard dogs and take their job seriously. They
are not mindless attack dogs but will not generally be happy and accepting of
strangers if not properly introduced.

6. They are strong, dominant, alpha dogs, especially adolescent males and must
be handled firmly, consistently and fairly.