[pyrnet] leashes and claustrophobia

Don't want to further clog up the net, but I had a few thoughts....

First, on the leash training, "ballistic" isn't maybe the right word.  We like to refer to it as the "flopping fish syndrome"!    Don't worry, it doesn't last very long  :0)
Just ignore them and keep walking and talking, they are bound to follow!

On claustrophobia.... Yes, I think that there are definite familial tendencies towards this special kind of anxiety.   I have had a few dogs over the years (related) that had this not so wonderful trait.  I don't have a magic cure, but I can offer some things I have learned about it over (way too many) years!
1st... it is helpful if you can find a way to contain the dog.... either a REALLY strong crate or  in a kennel.  Once they figure out that they REALLY can't break out no matter how insane they want to be, that is helpful to further training.  (I have gotten some welded kennels from Cabela's that are worth their weight in gold.  We call them the "bear cage"!)
2nd...One weird aspect is that no matter how impossible a dog was to crate at home or in the kennel, they were GREAT travellers.  they would happily be in their crate in the van for cross country trips for days without a peep... go figure
3rd....   take heart... it seems to fade as the dogs age.   The worst period is definitely 18ishm months to 3ish years.....  sorry, that is sort of a big span, eh?

Well, maybe not too helpful advise, but at least you know that you aren't alone with your seemingly psychotic white wonder!

-Tami Green