Re: [pyrnet] leashes and claustrophobia

seemingly psychotic white wonder!
    LOL!  You hit that age span right on the nose.  Ombre is 20 months now.  The flopping fish on a leash thing started at about 10 months and neither of us could hold her.
    That's when I did the water-ski act behind her and she dragged me up the deck steps.  I remembered how we used a post to snub-down an green horse so got a steel cable and tried tying her for just 3 or 4 minutes. She nearly pulled the deck off the house.  Her flailing was so wild we feared she would hurt herself.
    Fortunately, hubby has the strength and patience to put the leash on for a few minutes at a time and walk around with her, and she's getting better for longer walks.
    I think her hatred of the leash may have contributed substantially to her learning not to bolt out of the open gate while we are taking the tractor through.  (That's the only time we tried to restrain her.)  For practical purposes, like going to the vet, she must have at least basic good doggie behavior training, but it just seems to take a long time to convince her of that necessity.
    Basic doggie training is not new to me, but Ombre is no comparison to the mini-pin or peekapoos and others I've dealt with -- they couldn't drag me around, and I was more in charge of the situation.  Guess our primary training hurdle boils down to the size, and the training adaptations that requires.
Nancy
www.hensteethandfroghair.com