Re: [pyrnet] Question

In a message dated 8/15/2005 7:28:58 AM US Mountain Standard Time, lvartan@fklaw.com writes:
I have a question for the group. My family got our 9-month old pyr, Ella, roughly 3 months ago from a breeder in upstate New York. In her first 3 months with us, she went from getting sick on the ride home to New Jersey and refusing to climb the stairs to the bedrooms, to being wonderfully adjusted and the star of our neighborhood. One problem, however, we just can't seem to shake - she absolutely hates the car.
This is what I do.  For each step, follow these guidelines:
 Extend time each time, COMPLETELY IGNORE bad behaviour.  You need to feel like you are having a good time, regardless.  Praise like crazy when the dog is behaving.
Step one, open the car door and just sit there for a minute with the dog near you, on leash of course.   Do this for a few days until dog is bored with it.
Step two, set up a crate in the car if possible,with car door open put dog in crate for 1 minute at a time, engine off, again ignoring any bad behaviour.  Do this every day for a week, extending the time each day.  You can do this several times a day.  Don't move on until dog is settled somewhat at this step.
Step three - repeat step 2 but with engine running.  Do this again for a week.
Step four - same as above but move car up and down driveway.  Add distance as the dog becomes tolerant.
This might seem like alot of work, but it does work and you'll end up with a clean car too - have to do something while you are out there with the dog all that time!  LOL
Some people have even taken to feeding their dog in the crate in the car, in order to give the dog a positive image of that mode of transportation.
Also be aware that some dogs do better when they can see out the windows and some do better when they can't - just like humans.

Peggy