Re: [pyrnet] GP/Akbash mixes????

On 5 Nov 2005 at 9:39, Karen wrote:

> I am beginning to wonder if my last few rescued GP's, are
> actually Akbash crosses.

Karen,

We see rescues here in NM that we think are Akbash or Anatolian Pyr
Cross.  Luckily, the temperament is more like the Great Pyrenees.
These dogs  have more of the sighthound build. Shorter coats, tuck up,
hip bones protruding and move like a sight hound, rather than a Pyr.  I
think these dogs are probably Akbash/Pyr Cross, keeping the better
temperament of the Great Pyrenees.  I have an Anatolian here in
Rescue and the temperament is much more harsh, the dog much more
suspicious.  Email me privately and I will send you a PDF file on
Identification of the Akbash for Rescue Groups.  It also helps to get as
much information from the shelters in your State...who is breeding
what? and where they are located?  ie, we know that there are
Pyr/Anatolian breeders in the Southern part of NM and also surrounding
Albuquerque.  That helps us identify a possible cross coming in to our
rescue program.  On the other hand...I have been told by folks in the
know that these are just poorly bred Pyrs.  Since the rescues won't talk,
who knows :(

Judith S. Miller
Northern New Mexico Great Pyrenees Rescue
jsmiller@newmex.com