Re: [pyrnet] GP/Akbash mixes????

Hi,

I know nothing of Akbash but if I understand you correctly, I've seen this on several Pyrs, rescue and otherwise.

I suppose some Pyrs (all white especially) may have no pigment on the skin above their nose just as some have little or no pigment directly on the nose.  Our Moses has a brown or liver nose that gets almost black during late summer but always has black skin above his nose, on his lips, eyelids, etc. with no brown, pink or white except for *maybe* on his belly but it's been a while since I turned him over and looked that close.  He does produce nice pigment and markings in most of his pups.

In my opinion, according to the standard and what I think looks nicer and may have effects on health/performance, it's best if they have black skin on the nose, above the nose, on the lips, eyelids, spots on the belly and I personally like dark or black toenails and palate as well.

I've seen several rescues with black and white (piebald) skin above the nose and also the eyelids, lips, etc.  These have been both all white and marked dogs, although the whites may have had some color when born.  Sometimes these traits came with very poor conformation to the point that I questioned if the poor thing could even be expected to patrol or fight off a predator.....what they were originally bred for in the Pyrenees Mountains, as I'm sure you know.....and what some of these rescues had personally been acquired for.  Others had very nice conformation.  On most, we had no idea what their bloodlines were.

Looking at your photos, there is always the possibility of different or poor breed type and the possibility of mixing with almost anything.  The one looks kind of Pyr/Labrador to me and seems to have the double dewclaws but you just never know.

Good luck,
Chrissy