RE: [pyrnet] SC Pyr with problems - suggestions needed

What is she in the utility room? Does she destroy the house? Just wondering if she might be claustrophobic!

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org [mailto:owner-pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org] On Behalf Of Shirley McGreal
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 3:38 PM
To: pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org
Subject: [pyrnet] SC Pyr with problems - suggestions needed

I just received this message from Cherie Longshore (clongshore@retirement.sc.gov), I know she'd really appreciate suggestions, otherwise I foresee another candidate for rescue. Since I became a mere "contact" for Rescue in South Carolina, I am getting more calls than I anticipated - two today. Shirley

Hi,

I have an 18 month old female Great Pyrenees that is a bit more that we can handle.
When she is determined to get out of the fenced in back yard, there is nothing to stop her.
She is currently recovering from a fracture due to escaping and being hit by a car.
I am having to keep her in my utility room and when I can not be there to allow her to go out for a walk to use the bathroom, she destroys the window sills and door facings and etc.

Is there some behavioral training that is self taught and inexpensive that we can consider,

Or is this "working dog" not a wise choice for a pet and she should be placed on a farm with livestock to guard and protect?

We did not know what we were getting into, when we got her as a puppy.

She is very loving to the family, but is difficult to contain.
I really hate to get rid of her.  She's already escaped once from the local county animal control center already.

Thanks, Cherie

This message is a PRIVATE communication.
If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy,
or use it, and do not disclose it to others. Please notify the
sender of the delivery error by replying to this message, and then
delete it from your system. Thank you.