Re: [pyrnet] SC Pyr with problems - suggestions needed

On 14 Dec 2005 at 15:38, Shirley McGreal wrote:

> Is there some behavioral training that is self taught and inexpensive
> that we can consider, Or is this "working dog" not a wise choice for a
> pet and she should be placed on a farm with livestock to guard and
> protect?

Cherie and the List...

Please describe the type and height of fencing you have and how your
female is escaping.  What type of containment did she escape from at
the shelter?  Once we know the particulars, we can advise you on what
" Might " work in containing this gal :)  If this female is a true escape
artist, she will not be a valuable Livestock Guardian with the roaming
gene she has.  Everyone thinks the miracle cure is sending problem
Pyrs to a farm or ranch and that is not the case.  Also, did the shelter
not tell you this breed needs good fencing?  They all do...that's part of
living with a Great Pyrenees :)  Is this female spayed?  How long have
you had her? What is her name?

I am including a link to the " Alpha Boot Camp " method of training, it
teaches the owner how to be Alpha, which we all need to be if we own
Pyrs :)  Once we have more information we can certainly help you with
the possible phobia  issue also.  Why don't you join the Pyrnet Group at
least for a while. There are many experienced Pyr Owners on this
discussion group, with good advice.

http://www.chowwelfare.com/cciw/alpha.htm

Judith S. Miller
Northern New Mexico Great Pyrenees Rescue
jsmiller@newmex.com