RE: [pyrnet] Tricuspid valve dysplasia

Amy, I have never heard of this condition - but I think you already know what you are going to do anyway, whether Milo lives 6 months, or 6 years. I think you would be setting yourself up for a bigger heartbreak if you didn't adopt Milo. I truely feel dogs come into our lives for a reason, and if you can afford the medication for Milo's condition, how long he is with you won't matter.

Best wishes.

Melissa

From: "Amy Bailey" <newbailey@comcast.net>
To: <pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org>
Subject: [pyrnet] Tricuspid valve dysplasia
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 14:08:47 -0500

Does anyone have any experience with a dog with tricuspid valve dysplaia? The local SPCA rescued several Pyrs, including puppies. All have been neutered and adopted except one - Milo a 20 week old male. Milo has tricuspid valve dysplasia. It was discovered when a heart murmer was heard before he was neutered. The SPCA had an echocardiogram done and it confirmed the valve problem calling it "grossly dysplatic" and that there was "massive 4+ widespread tricuspid regurgitation" One vet's opinion is that the dog will be likely to have heart failure before one year of age, and if he makes it that long, definitely by four.

By now you have all guessed, I went to see Milo. He is a gorgeous, well socialized little guy who has no idea he has anything wrong. He is crate trained, nearly house broken, outgoing and playful. I took him out for a walk and he found a stick that kept him busy for a half hour throwing it and chasing it in the snow. He licked every kid's face in the SPCA on the way out the door. I passed the requirements for adoption and could take him home once my other dogs (both Pyrs) and 9 year old son meet Milo to see how they react together. BUT am I setting myself up for major heartbreak ??? Any one had a dog with this problem ? Was it controllable with medication? Milo goes home with a foster volunteer and plays with a Bernese Mountain dog so he is safe, well cared for and happy where he is now, but is looking for a longer term home. If he were living in a cage, he'd already be home with me now regardless of the outcome. I do have to put in a plug for the NH SPCA in Stratham, all of the animals are all well cared for and as happy as they can be in a shelter.