Re: [pyrnet] Tricuspid valve dysplasia

On 5 Jan 2006 at 14:08, Amy Bailey wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with a dog with tricuspid valve
> dysplaia?  The local SPCA rescued several Pyrs, including puppies.
> All have been neutered and adopted except one - Milo a 20 week old
> male.  Milo has tricuspid valve dysplasia.  It was discovered when a
> heart murmer was heard before he was neutered.  The SPCA had an
> echocardiogram done and it confirmed the valve problem calling it
> "grossly dysplatic"  and that there was "massive 4+ widespread
> tricuspid regurgitation"  One vet's opinion is that the dog will be
> likely to have heart failure before one year of age, and if he makes
> it that long, definitely by four.

Have a cardiologist check Milo if hasn't been done yet.  My Sonny has mild SAS, slight mitral
valve prolapse and trivial tricuspid regurgitation.  Mitral and tricuspid usually progress with
age.  Somebody forgot to tell Sonny that.  He's 11-1/2 yrs old.  Good idea to put heart
problem dogs on fish oil, as in studies show in people helps strengthen the heart, helps
protect against irregular heartbeats that cause sudden cardiac death.  Basically they can't
really tell you how long cardiac dogs will last.  And I think there's some meds that can be
given to help the condition.

Janice, janices@austin.rr.com
Brooke, Lana & Molly (newfs), Sonny (pyr)
http://home.austin.rr.com/janices
Hutto, TX