Re: [pyrnet] Training Collars

In a message dated 5/10/2006 7:30:16 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time, utlkn2me@gmail.com writes:
I don't much like the idea of using something like that - she normally
wears (what her foster mom bought for her) a nylon slip-type collar.

I would appreciate any recommendations on what type of collar works
best for training or any opinions on using metal prong collars on
Pyrs.
Well this might not be the current popular method I have switched to prong collars as a tool in training over the past couple of years.  I think that they are more humane than slip, or choke, collars, particularly with beginning dogs.  I switched after talking and working with a trainer who has trained many breeds (and attained 4 OTCH's) over many years.
I will preface this with the hope that you have a good trainer (not a 16 year old at Petsmart) and that the collar is fitted properly for your dog.
We call these collars "power steering" around here...
Good luck!

Peggy Watson