----- Original Message -----
From: "Jack Mowery" <Jack.Mowery@TPMHMR.org>

Marilou -
It sounds to me like you are allowing your emotional reaction to an ugly
collar to override what is best for your dog.  That thin slip collar you
like is shaped and positioned  almost ideally for damaging the larynx of
your dog.  That ugly prong collar, doesn't poke or choke, it folds and
pinches the skin.  <etc>

<snipped for brevity>  The lady who will be our instructor did a
demonstration where she put the collar from one of her small dogs on
her arm and had a class member pull on it to show that it didn't hurt
her arm.  But still . . .