RE: [pyrnet] Re: pyrnet-l-digest.20060701

Just for what it's worth in regard to The Dog Whisperer, Cesar Milan.  I
have no opinion one way or another, but since his name came up, I
thought I would relay this.

In last weeks edition of The Wisconsin State Journal, published in
Madison, WI, there was a very large article about Cesar Milan, his Dog
Psychology Center, and his popular National Geographic show.  While the
article mainly portrayed his success in a positive light, it also
mentioned how critics indicate some of his training methods borders on
abuse, and in some cases is blatant.  I have personally never seen his
show, but what followed up yesterday, was even more interesting.

Dr. Patricia McConnell,PH.D(certified animal behaviorist) who is world
renown for her dog training, and actually resides not far from where I
live, responded with a letter to the yesterday's (Sunday's) edition of
Wisconsin State Journal in regard to Cesar Milan's training.  She
indicated she has had (2) clients come to her after they had taken the
Cesar Milan course, and their dogs were biting worse and showing
increased aggression than before they had started his training. She
expressed concern over the article on Cesar and his approach.

As another note and how it relates to this group, is that Dr. McConnell
also has Great Pyrenees. (her name is Tulip and is a beautiful girl)
This is why I chose her Dogs Best Friend Training classes to train my
Pyr, Czar, as I will not train my dogs with anything but positive
reinforcement training.  I absolutely loved the classes, and so did
Czar, and is all based on positive reinforcement training. We have even
completed our Canine Good Citizen class through her group, and I
couldn't think of any other way to put a Pyr through training, given the
sensitive nature of their disposition, temperament, and metabolism.  I
am attaching a link to her web site in case anyone is interested.  She
has a syndicated radio show, and has published many books, one of which
is titled "How to be the Leader of the Pack".  I am attaching her link
in case anyone is interested in reading about Dr. McConnell, her
training methods, or her publications.
http://www.dogsbestfriendtraining.com/home.php

Just thought I would share the info, in case any one is interested.

Beth and Czar (Pyr) and Raisa (Malamute) in Rural Wisconsin