[pyrnet] Re: GReat Pyrenees Question

Hello Alexys,
I suspect your Pyr is killing the escaped rabbits accidentally (a curious 100 lb dog can do that too easily with a very small rabbit) and I am not at all surprised that he/she is not eating them.  You see during their history, Pyrs were chosen by shepherds for their good livestock guardian skills and a Pyr that eats lambs (whether it killed it or not) is not looked upon with favor by the shepherd.  Sure, you will hear some stories of Pyrs killing and eating small animals or even lambs but that is the exception not the rule.

This is actually a very interesting developmental trait of all livestock guardian dogs which is explained in much better detail in the Coppinger's book "Dogs", you might find it at the library.

Good luck to you, and it sounds like your Pyr is good and normal!

Keith, Soo, Dustin, and Julie (our Pyr).