Re: [pyrnet] GReat Pyrenees Question

In a message dated 8/21/2006 9:39:55 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, winterrosefairy19@yahoo.com writes:
I would suggest a prong collar instead. I have tried using a choke collar and he would still pull and then end up choking himself. With the prong collar,  he never pulls.

jodi busby <jodilbusby@yahoo.com> wrote:
Can anyone tell me if there is a good way to train my Pyr Julius NOT to chase after cars?   He is a barely over a year, sweet sweet, but baaaaaad
when we are on a walk (on leash) and a car goes by he goes ballistic and has pulled the leash out of my hand a few times and takes off after the car... My husband and I can never let him off his leash in fear of his running out into the street, but now on walks he is getting so strong that when a car goes by, if he's persistent enough he pulls the leash away...
Should i be using a choke collar, (which i didn't want to use)
Any ideas?  Many thank yous!        Jodi and Julius
I heartily endorse a prong (pinch) collar.  Worked wonderfully on our male many years ago and saved my shoulder, too!  He always wanted to chase city busses that went to and fro on a main street close to us.  Wonder what he would have done with one if he ever managed to catch it?
Must add that it is a good idea to take your Pyr with you to the store where you will purchase the collar to ensure a proper fit which is essential to provide enough deterrent pain to make them stop pulling.
Robert