From: owner-pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org [mailto:owner-pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org] On
Behalf Of Sariena Foley
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2006 7:30 PM
To: AdoptAnimals@yahoogroups.com; lepus@reach.net;
berner-l@prairienet.org; BigDogRescue@yahoogroups.com;
BIGDOGS@yahoogroups.com; BREEDERS_STUD_DOG_LIST@yahoogroups.com;
breedersonly@yahoogroups.com; David & Catherine O'Banion; Dennis & Susan
Tochor; Dianne Migas; DogBreeding@yahoogroups.com;
dogmentor@yahoogroups.com; DogsNeedingHomes@yahoogroups.com; Dragonlady;
GiantDogsRescue@yahoogroups.com; goatslivestockdogs@yahoogroups.com;
Great Pyrenees Discussion List; k9aggression-support@yahoogroups.com;
leanne73@sympatico.ca; Kimberlywest@sympatico.ca;
mcdonaldmrjj@sympatico.ca; m_a_wilson74@hotmail.com;
mhaddow@symaptico.ca; Patricia Coffey; NY-NE-RescueNet@yahoogroups.com;
Pawprints@yahoogroups.com; Pregnancy_and_Pups@yahoogroups.com;
pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org; Sandy; SHOWDOGS-L@APPLE.EASE.LSOFT.COM;
TDT_Forum@yahoogroups.com; Woof-Pack@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [pyrnet] OMG! What breed WILL be next????-ONTARIO, CANADA MOVES
TO BAN LABRADOR RETRIEVERS

This is getting out of control. This kind of ignorant uneducated fear
mongering is contagious and WILL spread to more breeds and to more
provinces...then US states!

Which breed will be targeted next?? Yours...mine?? We as voters need to
stop this...even if you live in the USA, please write the Ontario
government voicing your opinion and protest!
------------

ONTARIO, CANADA MOVES TO BAN LABRADOR RETRIEVERS

http://caveat.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2006/8/23/2257176.html

ONTARIO MOVES TO BAN LABRADOR RETRIEVERS
by Publisher on Wed 23 Aug 2006 09:55 AM EDT | Permanent Link | Cosmos

Toronto, August 23, 2006: The Attorney General for Ontario announced
last night that in view of the success of the province's ban on pit
bulls the government is turning its attention to another very popular
breed of dog.

He made the following announcement at a press conference late yesterday:
"These dogs are involved in more biting and mauling incidents than any
other breed in Ontario. Every time I read a news report about a
dangerous dog, it involves a Lab or a Lab cross. We had another incident
today in Waterloo involving Labs attacking people on the street. Enough
is enough. It's time to take a long, hard look at these dogs."

When questioned about the advisability of bringing the issue before the
public in an election year, the Attorney General said: "The public wants
to be protected from dangerous dogs. The public supported the pit bull
ban because they knew it was time to get dangerous dogs off our streets
and out of our parks and backyards. The precedent has been set, our ban
is working and it's time to look at other types of dogs involved in
large numbers of bites and attacks."

As to whether it would be put to a vote in the Legislature or if public
hearings would be held as they were for the pit bull ban, the response
was: "We went through a vote, we had public hearings and we remained
convinced that banning pit bulls was the right thing to do. The law
allows the government to add any breeds or mixed breeds to its list of
prohibited dogs without consultation. Municipalities have that authority
as well."

The Opposition Critic could not be reached for comment. The NDP Attorney
General Critic had this to say:

"I don't know why anyone would be surprised by this announcement. The
Attorney General has already proven he is capable of banning dogs
because of their breed. Labs are one of the most popular dogs in the
province, why wouldn't they be next? More dogs, more bites - it isn't
rocket science".

Asked if he thought adding another breed to the ban would protect the
public, he replied "I don't know about the public. I think this is more
about protecting the Attorney General's seat."

To view dogs people think are 'lab mixes', click here.

Concerned? Write to your MPP

h/t CVTNews

Sariena Foley,
Regalia Great Pyrenees
http://regaliapyrs.com/kennel.htm
Educational site about the Great Pyrenees
http://regaliapyrs.tripod.com/index.htm
http://www.k9aggression.com/