Re: [pyrnet] (no subject)

In a message dated 9/24/2006 8:41:51 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, Primarychic@aol.com writes:
Have you ever run into a truly shy great pyr?
My female, whose name is also Lily, is extremely shy.  I got her when she was just turning a year old, from a woman who expected her to be like a lab or shepherd.  Lily would cringe if I moved my hands too fast and she was terrified of anything in my hands or any sudden movements. She will turn 7 soon and is still shy with other people and gets very nervous in a room with several people.  If I have visitors come to stay, it takes her a few days before she feels comfortable with them.  She adores my sis who is living here for awhile.  She got along well with my older female Pyr-Shelly once they settled the food thing.
A year ago I adopted a male Pyr and the only issues they had were food related.  Then one day they got into a horrible fight and I still am not sure what caused it.  It wasn't food related.  They both had several bleeding wounds and were almost impossible to separate.  I had to throw a bucket of water on Lily and then grab her and drag her inside.  Lily was the one doing the attacking, Soleil was defending himself and trying to get away.
They have been fine since then but I'm really careful about treats and food.  I do notice them eyeballing each other if they are both inside while I fix their bowls, so I now keep them separate during that time.  Soleil does go out with me to put down Lily's bowl and then bounces back in for his bowl.  After both are finished he goes out to check her bowl and she doesn't mind that.
He is very outgoing and loves people and is seems to help her with her shyness if he is there to greet a new person.
I'm hoping that your dogs will do like mine and consider the issues settled.
I'm really careful to not put mine in a situation where they might feel like they are competing for anything.
Best of luck.

Cat, Lily & Soleil (Great Pyrs) and Troubles, Lacy & Sparkle (Great cats), and now........Red, the Congo African Grey parrot!