Re: [pyrnet] When Pyrs Shed

Hi Manny,

I live in Riverside, so I can speak from the same climate zone :)

My 14 year old, Smoky, is primarily an indoor dog who sheds heavily in the spring and in the fall.  However, in the spring he requires a lot more help (brushing, etc) getting rid of the undercoat and also is more prone to developing hotspots and other coat problems at that time of year.  I suspect that's because the fleas also come to life in the spring, and he's got an allergy.  In the fall, like now, he blows the undercoat quite easily, and the skin underneath is pink and healthy, like Athena's :)  And yes, the hair comes out in huge clumps, I vacuum up the equivilent of two pomeranians almost daily.  Smoky does, indeed, have thyroid issues, but he's treated with Synthroid daily and his levels are closely monitored, being as he's so elderly, so I would have to say that this shedding pattern is normal for healthy, house-baby Pyrs in our climate.

You did not say how long you've lived with Athena.  If it's not been a full year yet, you are in for a nice treat.  SoCal Pyrs are quite frankly at their most gorgeous just in time for Christmas photos.

regards

>>> "Manny Fernandez, Jr." <drmanny3@cox.net> 10/09/06 3:51 PM >>>
We live in Orange County, CA and it gets somewhat warm during the summer.
Our female Athena seems to shed near the end of summer, like now rather than
before summer.  She is pretty much an indoor dog and really doesn't spend
much time outside.  So perhaps that is why she sheds now.  Question:  When
she sheds it comes out in large amounts, and her remaining fur on the sides
is minimal.  The skin is pink in color.  Is this due to her shedding?  The
hair that does come out is like down.  I understand that this is what is
blown.  But we were just concerned.  I posted a question similar to this on
one of those pet answer web sites.   The response we got was to check her
thyroid as it might be off.  We recently took her to the Vet for a Wellness
health check up and she came out without problems.  Just wondering what you
folks experience when they blow their coats.

Regards,
Manny