Re: [pyrnet] Dog food

Hi

For years our Ama suffered from Allergies. We did the blood test and she tested positive for just about everything. We were nervous about taking her off her food, but last year we bit the bullet and switched.

She gets boiled ground meat (What ever is cheap) with lentils, brown rice and beans (legumes with brown rice are a complete protein). We add salt and veggies too. I serve it as is, cold. She loves it. The best part is that she dropped 30 pounds (She had been about 35 pounds over weight) and her skin problems disappeared. Her stools are normal. She still has allergies (her nose runs all summer) but at least we have taken care of most of the skin issues. I buy large size ground meat and make enough for 3 days at a time.

deb

sandy dyment wrote:
Hi folks,

Here it is again, about questions about what others are feeding their pyrs. I have been finding the last couple of months I am not happy with my pyrs coat or skin condition. I have been feeding Purina Pro Plan for about 3 years now. I have two shelties that I have fed Nutro Natural Choice Lite as they tend to gain weight, both are over 10 years old now.

I am a bit perplexed as to what to do regarding the pyrs. I have heard that Purina changed the formula in Pro Plan but not enough to have to re-label their bags of food. I have been adding cod liver oil to their diet for over a month, I don't see a big difference in skin and coat yet. My old sheltie girl developed a very runny eye so I put her on the Pro Plan a few days, eye cleared up. Put her back on the Nutro natural choice and the eye started weeping again. So it seems perhaps the formula may have changed there as well. I am reading on the internet people are complaining about Nutro and dogs are becoming ill??

I have considered feeding raw but having tried it before my crew doesn't seem to like to and of course the loose stools are not fun.

It is a bit of a problem when you can't depend on what your feeding your dogs. Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks...

Sandy Dyment

Pyrview Reg'd Great Pyrenees....
Canada.