RE: [pyrnet] Dog food - Skin problems due to food/allergies/infection?

Hi All,

I've been reading all the posts about skin and food problems. It all sounds
very familiar to me as I have gone through all of that with Arizona. She
also had a problem with "infected" ears that just wouldn't clear up. It cost
me a fortune at the vets, to no avail.

We changed her food until we did find one that works. We discovered that she
does best on foods without eggs or corn products. And YES -- It's DIFFICULT.
I do, occasionally prepare homemade foods for her. But it's difficult with
having 2 other big dogs also.

As an RN, I really "brainstormed" her problems and did a lot of research.
Then, in the middle of the night, my answer came. Lysol. Yeah, I know a lot
of people are going to think that I am absolutely CRAZY. And that's OK. But
I want to share what happened.

During nursing school many years ago, I took a required microbiology class.
We grew all kinds of "stuff" -- bacteria, yeasts, etc. And then experimented
with different substances to kill off our little progeny. The one thing that
killed everything was Lysol. hmmm....

So, I went on a hunt. I bought a bottle of liquid Lysol and some Lysol
wipes. I made a very WEAK solution of the liquid Lysol and sponged it over
Arizona's skin just after her bath -- avoiding sensitive areas like her
eyes, nose, mouth and genitals. I used the wipes to clean her ears. It did
cause her some discomfort when I did that. I think they stung her ears.

But, several days later she no longer had any ear or skin problems. Now, I
simply wipe her ears clean every couple of days with regular baby wipes. And
keep her on dog food that is free from corn or eggs.

She's been "holding her own" now for about 6 months. And I'm ecstatic.

Again, I'm sure there will be folks that think I'm absolutely crazy. But we
were getting desperate. And the vet bills were mounting -- with no relief in
sight.

God bless everyone. I hope you figure out that best solution for your
babies.

Bea