RE: [pyrnet] Re: pyrnet-l-digest.20090110

It is amazing to me how many Pyrs have sensitive stomachs!  My dogs have
always been more of the goat variety - anything at all and preferably not
the same thing twice in a row unless it is home cooked chicken or turkey.  I
feed them Solid Gold Kibble - Barking at the Moon or Wolf Cub or any
Merricks kibbles - add some of Merrick's canned foods - two cans spread out
on kibble for three dogs twice a day.  They usually eat the canned food
quickly and nibble on the kibble till the next meal.  Even the pug is a
nibbler rather than a gulper.  I buy six cases of Merricks in different
flavors - anything poultry, especially Wingaling, is favored, they are not
fond of red meat - and mix them up.  I have read that dogs eat better if the
food is put out and removed after 30 minutes or so and that my method may
encourage picky eaters but these guys grew steadily and have maintained
their weights for several years this way.  Sometimes they do skip a meal
altogether, not a flavor they want or there is more to bark at, and then I
throw the food out after about three hours because I worry about the wet
food spoiling.  Charlie will sometimes try to bury the bowls under toys if
he is really not going to eat and this means the toys all get washed too.
They also get small biscuits whenever they go into their crates during the
day or to bed and some days if I am running in and out a lot, this can be a
substantial amount of food so I get good ones.

The only food I have had any trouble with is Merrick's Working Dog Stew with
green tripe.  It smells disgusting but the dogs gobble it up and this gives
Sweetie diarrhea!  Go figure.

I put three food bowls out together but usually Sweetie eats what she wants
first, then Charlie and finally Harry. They all share a water bowl. If the
pyrs are out in the snow in the morning but Harry has run back in very
quickly after business he will not touch the bowls until Sweetie eats.  This
is very unusual for a pug so whatever Sweetie said to him, he believes it!

The dogs also get some table food after dinner, not every night but usually
some rice or pasta, plain vegetables and meat scraps.  They come to
attention when I clear the plates and then all three eat at the same time
from their three bowls.  Sometimes I make a point of messing with the bowls,
like adding a bit more while they are eating or moving the bowl.  They are
used to this from me and I get no more response than a quick look of
anticipation of more from any of them.  Many years ago my father's dog - a
Malamute - snapped at a neighbor who bothered his bowl and even though the
person said he would not have done that to his own dog - a black lab - our
dog was now considered a biter.  I start messing with the food when they are
puppies = I know I tolerate a lot of other behaviors but never any back talk
about food.

Amy with Charlemagne and Sweet Madeleine (Pyrs) and Harry Pugger