Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 5:17 PM
Subject: [pyrnet] Giardia and Crypto

Hi,

We recently adopted a new dog that has been diagnosed with Giardia and Crypto.  She is a JRT.  She is on Panacur and Tylan powder along with some homeopathic stuff.  My concern is that it will spread to my Pyr, and 2 other JRTs.  The new dog is 1.5 years old and my dogs are all over 9.

CSU Veterinary hospital is treating the new dog and they suggested we wash our hands a lot and keep the food bowls clean.  The internet says I need to disinfected everything.  We have carpet, the dogs sleep with me and they have hundreds of stuffed toys.   We also have a large yard.  I can pick up all the poopsicles and fresh poops; but I can?t ammoniatize my whole fenced acre.  I also read I could treat all dogs as a precaution since the panacur is very safe.

Any advice, would be greatly appreciated.  When my pyr was younger she was on Tylan powder for a few years.  She still has a sensitive stomach which has been under control.

My sister?s dog had Giardia and her vet never mentioned sterilizing the whole house and her other dogs didn?t catch it.

Thanks

Sherri