Re: [pyrnet] Passing

I am so sorry to hear about the passing of Montana Bear.....know that he will always be in your heart.  In case someone here didn't send you this poem, I would like to share it with you, it has meant so much to me since my Pyr, TJ, passed last May.

Love,
Debbie

The Power of the Dog

by Rudyard Kipling

There is sorrow enough in the natural way

And when we are certain of sorrow in store,

Why do we always arrange for more?

Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware

Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Get a pup and your money will buy

Love unflinching that cannot lie

Perfect passion and worship fed

By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.

Nevertheless, it is hardly fair

To risk your heart to a dog to tear.

When the sum of years which Nature permits

Are closing in; asthma, or tumor, or fits,

And the vet's unspoken prescription runs

To lethal chambers or loaded guns,

Then you will find its your own affair.

But you've given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,

With its whimper of welcome, is stilled, how still!

When the spirit that answered your every mood

Is gone, wherever it goes, for good,

You will discover how much you care,

And will give your heart to a dog to tear.

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,

When it comes to burying Christian clay.

Our loves are not given, but only lent,

At compound interest of cent per cent.

And though itâs not always the case, I believe,

That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve

For when debts are payable, right or wrong,

A short-term loan is as bad as a long

So why in Heaven, before we are there

Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?