[pyrnet] Does your Pry like swimming? And a POOL WARNING.

We have a salt-water system pool and a big ol’ Pyr. I would love to teach her to join me in the pool. I think the exercise would be great for her joints, and the salt-water a plus to keep her skin clear.

However, first, I need to convince her that she’s not going to drown. We installed (for the first time) a solar cover on the pool this past winter. We found Arizona in the pool, clinging to the ladder in 9-feet of water in February. We don’t know how long she had been there. That could have been very tragic. Two days later we heard a loud splash. Our Black Lab did the same thing. Only he did it near the steps and immediately climbed out of the pool After these incidents, I did a search on the internet, and discovered that a lot of dogs drown thinking that they can walk across these covers. So, if you have a pool – and you put on a solar cover – protect your babies.

From: owner-pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org [mailto:owner-pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org] On Behalf Of Oliverslb@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:53 PM
To: pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org
Subject: Re: [pyrnet] Re: does anyone shave their pyrs?

I keep the belly, chest, and inner thigh areas shaved on my Pyrs.  I can tell they appreciate it, because the dig significantly less when they don't have 4 inches of fur between them and the ground.

I use a #10 skip tooth blade.  I used to have it done at my vet's, but they only have surgical blades, which is so short that it can cause irritation.
Cubbie likes his shave to leave him feeling like his tummy is a giant peach :)

Good luck!

Lisa and the beasts in HOT south FL

     - " -
    /) '  ' (\
  {/ (_0_) \}
   (''')~(''')
 ( " ) - ( " )Lisa T. Bottcher, President
Oliver's House, Incorporated 501(c)(3)
W Palm Beach, FL (561) 379-8328
Oliver (12 y/o Bearded Collie), Derby (14 y/o Aussie),
Great Pyrenees - CeeCee, Cubbie, Shasta, Trixie, and
Jelly (Tibetan Terrier), and Grover "Beardie of Mystery"
"Dedicated to the rescue, rehabilitation, and placement of dogs in Palm Beach County since 1999"
www.oliverslb.com
do you FaceBook?
http://www.facebook.com/n/?reqs.php&mid=88b5d6G5595b686G73fb6cG2