Re: [pyrnet] Cold weather and a South Texas Pyr

Christine. We live in Wisconsin and my Pyrs beg and beg and beg to be out in as much snow as possible in temps to minus 20 below. However they are house dogs and they let us know when they have had enough and come to the door to come in. Watch for ice balls that form on the pads of their feet. This can cause cracked and bloody pads if not cared for. It is snowing here now and the temp is about 25 degrees. Both Pyrs are outside on top of their hill loving every minute of it. My newf is laying out and becoming just plastered with snow and is a beautiful sight. They are all very happy and peaceful. This is my favorite time of the year. Beth czar osa and tundra in rural Wisconsin.

From: owner-pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org <owner-pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org>
To: pyrnet-l <pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org>
Sent: Thu Dec 03 18:00:55 2009
Subject: [pyrnet] Cold weather and a South Texas Pyr

Just how much cold can a Pyr really withstand when do they have their full winter coat?

Kodiak will be two in February and he weighs about 120 and it looks/feels like he has winter coat. He is an outdoor dog and tomorrow the temp is going to drop below 30 with the possibility of snow. This is an unusual event here in South Texas and I donât know whether to be concerned or not. He did not want to come in the house when it was 36 degrees outside.  I have read about this but want to be sure since we are used to extreme heat temps but not the cold and especially not snow.

Thanks,

Christine