Re: [pyrnet] Pyr Paranoia - reply

In a message dated 12/6/2009 1:00:09 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, trudysdogs@gmail.com writes:
Hi all - I have a question for everyone - Just wondering if my year and a half old boy, Orso, is normal or actually has a mental problem.  Last night he had one of his scenes - it was dinner time and the wind had just started blowing,  Orso eats outside.  I was just ready to put his food down and he suddenly caught the smell of 'something' and he was off - head up running the yard and barking - and so it went for the next 2 - 3 hours - he never did eat and was on edge all night.  I live out in the country so neighbors are not nearby and don't mind the barking - so that is not a problem.  I just feel bad when he gets so paranoia and I can't get his mind off of it.
So, tell me please, is this just a Pyr thing - or is he overly dramatic?
Thanks all,
LoLa & Orso's mom, Trudy
Pyrs dramatic?  Surely you jest.

Just be cause they go into a 30 minute barking jag just because a pine cone hits the roof at 3 AM and they think they are alerting us to an alien invasion is no reason to label them "dramatic'.
Just be cause the UPS and FedEx folks have learned to park up the street, walk very quietly down our drive, even more quietly place the package they are delivering by our front door, push the doorbell for .5 seconds and then flee back to the safety of their truck as fast as they can as two snarling, barking, slobbering Pyrs attempt to push through the glass of the 'screen' door to get at them is no reason to label them "dramatic'.

Naaaa - what Orso did is just normal Pyr reaction to a perceived threat to his 'flock', which is to say 'you'.

We once had a rescue Pyr that barked every time our cockatiel chirped.  Good thing we found her (the Pyr) a new home quickly - I think the bird would have driven her crazy.  I even think that the bird started chirping to get the dog to bark.
Go figure.

Robert