Re: [pyrnet] French vs. American Heads in the Great Pyrenees

I too have heard the terms "French style" and "American style" when it comes
to describing heads. It would be far better, IMO if people would use
"correct" and "incorrect" when describing heads.

As you say, there is so much more than just heads to consider. It is a shame
that there are those that breed heads to their preference rather than to the
standard. And many of those do win in the show ring. I too, do not like
loose lips, apparent stop, etc. when looking at a Pyr. It changes the
expression. that being said, sometimes markings can form an optical illusion
and make a head appear incorrect, yet if one was to put hands on the dog and
measure the head for balance, one might find that it is actually a correct
head.

There is one picture where it appears to the eye that the dog's eyes are too
close together. But that may very well be due to the markings on the face
causing an optical illusion.

One of the things I find interesting, is that it appears that over the
years, that the size of the teeth have changed. I see so many dogs with
small canine teeth now. And it has nothing to do with their overall size nor
the correctness, or incorrectness of the head.

I have occasionally wondered if having an incorrect head shape would effect
the power of the bite should it become necessary to defend the dog's
charges.

Barb Bowes
Desiree & Lucy (Pyrs)
In God We Trust