RE: [pyrnet] French vs. American Heads in the Great Pyrenees

1.  How much land do you have or do you recommend for perspective puppy parents???

            I have almost 2 acres of land, but my first 2 pyrs were raised in a 1000 sq ft condo. When I lived in the condo I walked them twice a day and took them on long walks on the weekends. Now that I have more land, I still walk them off property daily. I think the walks/attention/interaction is more important than acreage.

2. Does it make a difference if the pyr is not the only dog in the family?

            I think it really depends on the dog. I have 2 Pyrs now and have had single pyrs in the past. Pico was an adult male (6YO)  when I brought in Laela and sparks flew for a while, but they did get to the point where they were comfortable with each other. When Pico passed and I got Tucker 4MO male, Laela was not initially thrilled, but now they are inseparable.

3.  Do you recommend this dog if they will not be used as a LGD?

            YES! They are fantastic pets.

4. What is the ideal size of the home of a pyr owner??

            Please see my answer to 1. Even in a 2000SQFT home, I am constantly stepping over dog bodies. They always want to be where I am. It can get very tricky in the kitchen and one of the important commands that we are working on with Tucker is “out of the kitchen”

Jennifer, I would say that if you really want a Pyr, you will find room for it.

Elaine, Laela and Tucker