[WW] Assumptions (a bit OT but it does mention BARs)

It can be strange when something a friend says or does
makes you think about things you know and take for
granted. Some hopefully amusing examples, both from
CoC I'm afraid.

1. In Masks (I think) we came across a zeppelin
mooring tower in South America. I could see what it
was from the description and did not think it worth
mentioning, two months later (real time) the zeppelin
appeared - how was I to know they did not know what it
was? It seemed so obvious. The ref laughed his head
off. Mind you that was the scenario we raped. We had a
BAR and set it up on a hillside above the cultists
camp while a couple of us scouted around. When things
went pear shaped (as they always do) the BAR chopped
them to pieces from safety.

2. A new CoC player had a BAR. After the campaign we
nosing about my bookshelves and I pulled one off the
shelf and showed him a picture of a BAR. He was
astonished at how big they were, and by the weight
-"that weighs more than my bicylcle" was his refrain.
I gaped, surely everyone knows what a BAR is? He must
have thought it was an SMG.

Mind you if they start on football it is my turn to
get glassy eyed.

Back on Topic

Early war German troops were maybe a bit better
trained than most and certain had better elan. Their
strenghs lay more with the NCOs and junior officers
who knew the plan and cheerfully improvised and used
their iniative.
As riflemen they were no better than average, they
relied more on the MGs - which are still some of the
best designs ever made - and are still in service with
the modern German army (MG3). The grunts became
increasingly ammuition carriers for the MGs as the war
went on.

Russia. Wonderful, hardy soldiers but early war
Command and control was horrible.

The French had some of the heaviest and best protected
tanks but were often seen to bail out after
non-penetrating hits.

The Italians were dragged into the whole thing by el
Duche and just wanted to go home. Hence the comment by
one German general being interrorgated after the war,
"It's your turn to have them next time" (Italy had
been on the allied side during the Great War, well
against Austria-Hungary is maybe a more accurate
description).

Michael