[WW] Re: Various Topics

I have heard that part of the reason for the Japanese
brutality towards prisoners was a result of the
enormous expansion of their army. Brutal methods were
used to train the new troops and officers and this was
passed on the POWs. Certainly in WW I they were very
humane (on their best behaviour there, trying to be
accepted at the top table).

Skorzany thought the Russian peasants wern't human -
they could drink from a pool with a dead horse in it
and go on where a German would have been killed.
Hardy, hardy lads, but being shat on by everyone for
the last thousand years helps.

My favourite desert war story is that after they
surrendered German POWs were being marched off to the
rear and began singing 'Lil Marlene' and the British
troops joined in!

I have heard Tolkien's work described as a British
myth to counter the Norse/Wagnarian myth used by the
party.

What was the story about a Vietnam M113 APC in a
fantasy world - including a dragon and a raid on hell.
Mind you I would not fancy the M113s chances, don't
they have aluminium hulls?

Oh yes, Tomohawk films (http://www.tomahawkfilms.com/)
have CDs of 'party music', Nazi party that is. Useful
and some of it, mostly the regimental stuff is jolly
good. Some sonds oddly like jazz to me - and the party
hated jazz. They do have 'Lil Marlene' and that march
they played in the Indiana Jones grail film at the
book burning scene. They also do a tape or CD of
'special effect' noises, including a very scarey
flamethrower.

According to 'The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail' the
Nazis were looking for the grail in France. Not to
mention the expediotions to Tibet, Antarctica, etc.

There is a novel about a prewar German expedition to
Greenland in search of Gungnir, Odin's spear. The
party includes a .45 wielding American. Not good but
fun and useful.

The Roc, was that the dive bomber that the tail kept
coming off?

Michael