    From: owner-weirdwars@gamerz.net [mailto:owner-weirdwars@gamerz.net]
On
    Behalf Of nvdoyle
    Sent: Monday, August 20, 2001 4:32 PM
    To: weirdwars@gamerz.net
    Subject: Re: [WW] Re: Australians and Damage Values

    Well, the problem is, d20 -doesn't- model damage 'realistically'.
It's a
    fudge, to make the heros a lot tougher than your average grunt,
peasant,
    what have you. And have grand combats against terrible foes. Not to
    simulate
    the grittiness of modern combat. GSW's (GunShot Wounds) are tough to
do,
    in
    this. Look at the comparisons between your -average- human, and -
    average-
    weapon damage. d8 HD, 5 HP. A longsword does just the same amount,
on an
    average hit. The WW guns all do more than that on an average hit.
GSWs
    are
    notoriously random, in both the immediate and longer-term effects.
Also,
    don't forget criticals, and the multipliers that are used...the
.50BMG
    is
    just -painful- when it hits the right places.
    I'm loathe to use such tables as more than vague guidelines, as the
    designers of WW had to fit the firearms into the same scaling as the
    cannons
    and such. Some compression is necessary, to make it work - which I
think
    in
    the end is a good thing, rather than having more systems to convert
    things
    into.

    Noah
    nvdoyle@home.com