Re: [WW] OK, they're off the beach. Now what?

Hi Matt!

After your first adventure story off Omaha Beach I am sure you will
wing the second one, too ;-).

Your ideas sounded somewhat like Predator I/II to me.

In your place I'd go for something subtle yet: Have the PCs experience
the hectic days of the breakout: Everybody was VERY nervous, that the
Germans might strike back and throw the whole party (not just the
group, the WHOLE party) back into the sea.

And the Wehrmacht did counterattack (they just held back their tanks
too long, fortunately...). So go for attack, hold, flank breaking in,
nervous officers, broken chains of command (lots of people are trying
to find their units), radio chatter: There is a lot of horror in that
kind of dealings ... during the day.

And the night falls... Just mix the fear of German counterattacks in
with what they might hear and see. Don't forget: It's a different
country. They might neither know French or German. And heck - how
should they know the next unit over is Polish?

Have them being attacked by some strange cackling animal - only to
find in the morning, that they shot a goat, something like that (goats
are quite more uncommon in the US than in France, I guess).

Play on the unfamiliar and just hold back the really weird stuff for
later. It will come as a release then, I promise ;-).

BTW: Does anybody have a weather report for those weeks? I imagine
sheets of rain and fog can add a lot to the suspense, making things
more uncomfy for the PCs.

And another note: how about giving them hell around the clock? After
24 hours of not sleeping, they get -1 on everything, after 36 its
-2... Reduce the ammo loads they have, making it clear, that they need
help or are in dire trouble. All of that should spook them, too.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Arne Reuter

--
TSE GmbH Neue Medien, Hovestr.14, 48351 Everswinkel
Tel: +49 2582 66180            FAX: +49 2582 661833