Re: [WW] A few rules questions

Hi Christopher!

> 2) The notion of 'aimed fire' is mentioned in several
> places (at the end of the desc. of automatic fire on
> p. 88, under the description for telescopic sights on
> p. 89, and under the description of improved far shot
> on p.118), but I can't find any description of the
> term in the Weird War II book or the PHB.

Shane already ruled this on the list: If you take a full-round action
to shoot (no movement other than a 5 foot step), you are doing an
"aimed fire attack.".
So basically you forfeit your movement for aiming (which makes sense).

> 4) On p.106 under the loader description, it says that
> it loading a main gun is a move-equivalent action, but
> on p.107 under Main Guns it says it's a full-round
> action.  I'd lean towards the former, since udnder the
> Gunner description it says a gunner can reload as a
> full-round action since he has to move between
> stations.

Hmm. I remember someone saying that with breeches both shooting and
effect, once the shot is gone, the loader acts (perhaps by using a
ready action). That way a good team can shoot every round. If the
loader is injured or dead, the gunner would loose a round for loading
and reacquiring targets.

> As an aside, does anyone else think the Commando is a
> bit over-the-top?  The other prestige classes have
> interesting specialties, but the Commando is just a
> do-anything super-dude: fighter[grunt] BAB
> progression, d12 hit points, 6 skill points/lvl, 2
> good saves, fighter[grunt] bonus feat progression, 2
> free feats and sneak attacks.  Seems a bit much.  I
> was thinking of cutting the hd to d8 and the skill
> points to 4/lvl, then reducing the ability score
> requirements.

Personally I believe the rules just give the commando an edge, to
signify that it is a breed apart form normal grunts.

In my campaign it would be channeled by several methods:

1) Entry requirements. In order to become a commando, you have to have
very high and evenly distributed stats. If you make the command PrC
harder to get (ruleswise), raise those requirements. Otherwise I
believe it works good for those, who designed a good overall character
instead of a specialized ones (you need INT and WIS for this char,
things your grunt or scout might not have).

2) Roleplaying: In order to become a commando, the character has to be
allowed to join a unit, where he can learn that stuff. That might take
him out of the normal group for a while or require the whole group to
fulfill the requirements.

3) Continuous Roleplaying: In order to advance as a commando, he'd
need to do commando-style action. If he is just doing plain infantry
work (or worse), only allow him to advance the other classes.

All in all I do not think it is a broken class, you have ample
opportunity to steer it.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Arne Reuter

--
TSE GmbH Neue Medien, Hovestr.14, 48351 Everswinkel
Tel: +49 2582 66180            FAX: +49 2582 661833