[WW] Automatic Fire vs. Human Wave

A few things, all concerning automatic fire:

As far as stray bullets goes, and being a bean counter, just declare
that 1/3 hit.  (1 or 2 on a d6 for full auto fire hits a secondary
target per the rules in BotR)

So a suppressive fire burst into a squad/platoon, will hit with three
bullets, no fussing around.  Every burst will hit with at LEAST 1
bullet.  By walking fire I guess I was thinking of the Deadlands/Hell
On earth system of allowing each +5 rolled (which in BotR means an
additional hit on the first target) to hit a nearby target.

Example:  Effective AC 13, #rd level grunt with TOTAL attack bonus +5
rolls an 18 to hit on his burst for the round, for a total of
a 23, or +10 to hit.  In BotR thats three bullets from the burst, why
not let those three bullets hit 3 seperate targets?

Also, why would the rate of fire of a machinegun depend upon the
level of the firer?  A 1st level grunt firing a machinegun fires one
three round burst, while a 20th level grunt can fire what, FOUR three
round bursts?  Why not give the weapon a rate of fire for a round,
and thats it... more realistic, and friendlier to low level
characters.  Then just apply bullets to areas, and the same die roll
applies to all the
bullets for that round.

Example:  A generic machinegun with a ROF of 12 bullets per round is
fired by a 3rd level grunt with a total attack bonus of +5 into a
horde of 150 people charging his machinegun nest.  He rolls a 9, with
the plus 5 thats a 14.  He designates 12 targets, and the Warmaster
compares AC's to the 14 to hit.  10 targets of the 12 have lower AC
than 14, and are hit.  Much simpler, AND more realistic.

What do you all think?

John