Re[2]: [WW] Automatic Fire vs. Human Wave

Hi!

> My idea is to alter the rules (for human waves) making it a Ref save
> to avoid getting hit. If you fail, you catch a bullet, and if you
> fail critically, you bite it. You could even make the guys nearest
> to someone who takes one have to make a Will save or drop to the
> ground (thus losing their next action).

Hmm. I guess we can move along that line. Still not sure how to make
it work yet...

> I also have to agree with the rate-of-fire point made elsewhere -
> machineguns shoot at their rate of fire. Period. A more experienced
> gunner might hit more targets, but he can't make the thing shoot
> _faster_. A fixed rate of fire might also make things work a little
> better.

In defense of Shane and John I'd have to say it does make a
difference. Machine guns have an awful lot of recoil. I remember
"firmly" planting my feet in gravel while shooting a MG on a bipod and
a after a few burst I found that I had been pushed back some 10 inches
there.

So it would be easy for an inexperienced gunner to loose his aim and
spend most bullets, e.g., harmlessly over the heads of the advancing
horde. And at some distance you wouldn't be needing a lot of elevation
to miss. There is still a lot of room where bullets can go without
hitting anybody ;-).

How about this: You apply machine gun fire like suppressive fire. For
every 10 bullets extra you spend (maximum of rate of fire / minute
divided by 10?), the AC rises by 2, but so does the reflex saving
throw. Whoever in that 20 foot radius does not make the save, takes
at least one bullet (if they miss by more than 5, then 2, by more than
10, three).

That way you could easily simulate situations as in Saving Private
Ryan, when the GIs were coming out of their landing craft (or rather
trying to).

Doing this continually would wreak havoc on your barrel, though. After
e.g. 150 rounds you'd have to change it. Otherwise each combat round
you'd have to make a jam check with a continually rising DC.

And how about the suppressing effect. Do you also require will checks?

Any suggestions?

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Arne Reuter

--
TSE GmbH Neue Medien, Hovestr.14, 48351 Everswinkel
Tel: +49 2582 66180            FAX: +49 2582 661833