RE: [WW] OT America under Attack Letter

-----Original Message-----
This has gone way too far.
--------------------------
With all due respect, Sir, I do not think it is the thread that has gone too
far.

I will not address your characterization of US History.  You have raised a
number of our darker moments -- ones that shame us.  Yet you do not address
our place in history as a great hope.  You characterize us as the
Johnny-come-latelies of warfare without addressing why.

This is not what bothers me about your post.  I have seen far greater and
far more willful displays of ignorance on the internet than this.  Many of
your points are, at least, debatable.

What does give me pause is the assertion that we are being fed information
from "a US propoganda machine."  Unlike many other places in the world, we
do not have a press controlled or run by a state organization.  While the
press may be fed by corporate money and run with the intent of getting as
many viewers as possible, they are showing a great deal more restraint than
you suspect.  As I write, CNN reports that aircraft MAY be being hijacked in
Canada.  They are being very cautious in attempting to play down fears.
They have not shown any footage from the Middle East, where Palestinians
took to the streets in celebration, as has Italian National Television --
doubtless to keep public anger from finding focus on innocent
Arab-Americans.  King Abdullah of Jordan is being given airtime.

The reason the world is reacting is because this is not just a simple
terrorist attack or bombing. I have eaten lunch in the most bombed hotel in
the world (The Europa in Belfast) and had to try to keep calm while my then
fiancée (now wife) lived and studied in Belfast for years.  The horror of
the bombings there and elsewhere pale in comparison to yesterday's events.
We are talking about a death toll that will sound more appropriate to a
report about a battle.  There is serious talk that it will surpass the
single most deadly day in American history (Antitem -- 22,000 dead).  This
is not a normal event -- not because it happened in America but because of
the scale.

This has nothing to do with Canada.  My wife's friend from New Brunswick
called and expressed anger and sorrow.  She has seen her small town swell in
size as the international flights began to arrive.  Other Canadians across
the PEG lists have expressed their support and sorrow.  You have as well and
I thank you for your concern and sorrow for those who have died and the
living who suffer from the losses.  Please do not take this as a flame -- it
is meant to try to give you a sense of why this attack is different.

Asking forgiveness for the formality of my address,

Dr. Matthew M. DeForrest