Re: [WW] OT America under Attack Letter

"Matthew M. DeForrest" wrote:

> [...]

I probably should not have sent that eMail, but since I entered this
list long ago (actually under a different eMail originally although I
never posted until recently), I have heard endless Canada bashing.
Unfortunately, it was the wrong time for me to respond.  Trust me, my
issues are strong, and I'm certainly willing to discuss them
reasonably.  The 'US is the world' attitude aggravates many.

> I will not address your characterization of US History.  You have raised a
> number of our darker moments -- ones that shame us.  Yet you do not address
> our place in history as a great hope.  You characterize us as the
> Johnny-come-latelies of warfare without addressing why.

Something worth discussing at a later date.

> This is not what bothers me about your post.  I have seen far greater and
> far more willful displays of ignorance on the internet than this.  Many of
> your points are, at least, debatable.

Don't throw the word ignorant around.  Ignorance is a lack of education,
or simply not knowing.  While the timing was wrong, it was a response to
a shameful and personal attack on me.

> What does give me pause is the assertion that we are being fed information
> from "a US propoganda machine."  Unlike many other places in the world, we

Having been part of both the US education system, and the Canadian.  A
mother who took most of her education in the USA, A father, brother, and
sister who have attended schools in both countries.  A fiancé who still
attends school in the US.  Numerous friends and family around the
world.  I know the differing education, and media.  A Canadian station
shows very different things than a US station.

> do not have a press controlled or run by a state organization.  While the

Perhaps...  I would consider China to have the most control over their
media and people, for good or ill.

> press may be fed by corporate money and run with the intent of getting as
> many viewers as possible, they are showing a great deal more restraint than

Perhaps...  The fact that they hide things is simply that though.  A
fact.  They do show restraint, but in what information is allowed to the
public.  Certainly the Canadian media is not goodie-two-shoes.  I have
seen obvious facts retracted many times on CNN.

> you suspect.  As I write, CNN reports that aircraft MAY be being hijacked in
> Canada.  They are being very cautious in attempting to play down fears.

I would disagree about the playing down fears personally.  I have
actually heard quite a few people comment on how they seem to be doing
the opposite.  The people I know who are calm, are ones who don't take
CNN seriously, or at least with a grain of salt.

> They have not shown any footage from the Middle East, where Palestinians
> took to the streets in celebration, as has Italian National Television --
> doubtless to keep public anger from finding focus on innocent
> Arab-Americans.  King Abdullah of Jordan is being given airtime.

Just a note, the Afghani terrorist group that everyone is pointing their
fingers at was created by the CIA, and its current leader was placed in
power by the CIA to battle the Soviets way back when.  I have no idea if
he is responsible.  What I do know, is that every bombing, and terrorist
attack starts with the media pointing fingers at the middle east.  The
media is very powerful in its sway of minds.  Most US terrorism is done
by native US citizens.  Like I said, who knows about this case.

Consider as well, that the US has always stopped Israel from reacting to
terrorism (until now).

Things should not be reported unless they know.  I do not agree with
news speculating.  Facts is what is needed.  8 planes were reported
missing.  2 hit the World trade, 1 Pentagon, 1 PA, 1 Andrews Air Force
Base, 1 Colorado, and two others undisclosed.

True the news isn't always correct, but how can one be mistaken about a
plane crashing?  Now they officially say there are only 4 planes.

As for Canada.  I have heard nothing of a hijacked plane in Canada.
There were supposedly two planes that landed in Whitehorse (redirected
from landing in Alaska), at least one with fighter jet escort as it was
low on fuel.  The pilot (or whoever used the radio) reportedly had an
accent from the middle east, which is where the 'hijacking' rumour came
from.  I have no information on the second plane.  I do know there are
still people who have not left their planes in Newfoundland.  I feel
terrible for them as well, and those who have slept in school gyms.

> The reason the world is reacting is because this is not just a simple
> terrorist attack or bombing. I have eaten lunch in the most bombed hotel in
> the world (The Europa in Belfast) and had to try to keep calm while my then
> fiancée (now wife) lived and studied in Belfast for years.  The horror of
> the bombings there and elsewhere pale in comparison to yesterday's events.
> We are talking about a death toll that will sound more appropriate to a
> report about a battle.  There is serious talk that it will surpass the
> single most deadly day in American history (Antitem -- 22,000 dead).  This
> is not a normal event -- not because it happened in America but because of
> the scale.

That is an interesting point.  I agree with the scale, but I 'feel' from
US peoples, that they are more upset that it happened on their soil.
"How could this happen."  In fact, many fingers have pointed towards
Canada.  Many feel we let them into your country.  The people who say
this obviously don't realize that when entering the USA, you pass
through US customs, not Canadian.  As well, the rumoured carload had New
Jersey Plates (rumoured), and they had New Jersey licenses (rumoured).

> This has nothing to do with Canada.  My wife's friend from New Brunswick
> called and expressed anger and sorrow.  She has seen her small town swell in
> size as the international flights began to arrive.  Other Canadians across
> the PEG lists have expressed their support and sorrow.  You have as well and
> I thank you for your concern and sorrow for those who have died and the

The thoughts on the USA, are separate from the tragedy.  I am not one to
hate anyone.  When I meet someone, I always give them the benefit of the
doubt (until proven otherwise).  My words are about the nation as a
whole, not a specific person.  Whether enemy, or ally, I do not want to
see anyone die.  Not innocents or military.  I watch carefully for names
of people I know.  My Aunt actually watched the planes hit the towers
and saw them collapse.  She was there.  As well, this attack did not
kill only US citizens.

> living who suffer from the losses.  Please do not take this as a flame -- it
> is meant to try to give you a sense of why this attack is different.

I appreciate the eMail.  You have given me thought.  Besides the
'ignorant' comment, this message is far from a flame.  This is the only
reasonable eMail I received.

> Asking forgiveness for the formality of my address,
>
> Dr. Matthew M. DeForrest

Dr of what?

Anyhow, the instance is a tragedy, but the pointing fingers must stop.
I feel the Weird Wars list is better used as a distraction from the
events, not to stir them up.  Thus I disagree with allowing the threads.

I was appalled at the moderator's personal attack on me.  I've met
Allan, though he may not remember me.

Apologies if you receive this twice Mr. DeForrest.

Cap