Re: [WW] Re: Systems & STOCS

"Michael R. Blair" wrote:

> STOCS (can't remember what it stands for) was a local self published game. A
> free lite version is available at: http://indigo.ie/~waste/free.htm

I'll have a look.  :)  If nothing else, it can sit beside my GURPS Lite
and Dominion Rules in my bookcase.  I recently downloaded and printed
out the FREE Dominion Rules RPG (from RPGNow.com).  No opinion yet.
Rules and Armoury is free.  Bestiary and Game Master's Book costs a few
bucks I believe.

> System comments:
> GURPS - wonderful sourcebooks. The system is OK but character generation is
> involved (but it does give good characters) and you can add a lot of
> complexity if you start adding in the extras.

Is the system really complex too?  I've heard from people who hate it,
and love it.  Seems hard to find someone objective to it.

> C0C - a basically simple system.

Someday I'll have to try it.

> Tri-Stat - simple but counter-intuative (-ve modifiers good, +ve bad). Not
> just for Manga.

I'm very interested in GOO, but wasn't impressed with the Sailor Moon
game (although this could have been because of the GM).  I almost bought
the Heaven & Earth 2nd edition which is Tri-Stat, but ended up with a
copy of 1st edition which is really good (uses Event Horizon's DRP
system).  I'd love to know the differences between the Event Horizon
System and the Tri-Stat.  I haven't come across a Tri-Stat lite yet.

[GOO - Guardians Of Order - they distribute Sailor Moon, which uses the
Tri-Stat system - for those who don't know)

> Traveller (1st ed) - simple symstem. Military character generation, WW II
> era weapons (apart from the laser rifle and carbine the best weapon is a
> BAR).

Interesting.

> Dangerous Journeys. Why did I buy this turkey? It just shows that in 20
> years EGG has learned NOTHING.

Heh heh, DJ was a rough system.  Mythus (DJ fantasy game) still has a
loyal following, but I couldn't get into it.  I too wish I hadn't bought
it.  I thought, Hey!  Its Gygax, and shelled the bucks out.  The books
to this day are in mint condition on my shelf.  So I was very tentative
about Lejendary Adventure.  Took me years to actual look into it, but I
have now, and so far I'm very impressed.  Extremely simple and fast
system.  It really found the compromise between new gamers and old
gamers, but may be a little more directed at new gamers.  I'll have a
more educated opinion on it soon.  If you're looking online for it and
you see a library that says "complete product listing" don't believe it.
;)  One thing I'll say though, is Gary is the most down-to-earth guy
I've ever communicated with.  I've had some great discussions with him
about Diplomacy (World War I strategy game).

There are tons of systems out there.  Middle Earth RP is another that I
was reminded of when Rolemaster was mentioned.

Cap