[WW] US Army Rangers 1942-43

Greetings,

I wanted to have PC's who were part of a pre-1944 Army Ranger Unit. The
only problem is that you pretty much have to be at least 5th Level before
you can get the Commando Prestige Class. When you consider that that takes
10,000 xp's, that's a lot of Germans and/or Weirdness to wade
through. I came up with the following solution.

I will start the players at 3rd Level. The basic Ranger Infantryman would
be a 2nd Level Grunt/1st Level Commando. You could also do multiclass such
as a 1st Level Officer/1st Level Grunt/1st Level Commando. I am keeping
the basic ability requirements the same as Ranger training was extremely
tough.

Historically, the first Ranger volunteers came from the 1st Armored
Division, the 29th Infantry Division, and several Corps level
assets. There was a 50 man detachment that took part in the ill-fated
Dieppe raid in the summer of 1942 but the Rangers first full scale
operation came November 8th, 1942 when the 1st Ranger Battalion under the
command of Lt. Col William Darby (known as "El Darbo" to his
men) assaulted Vichy French positions at the port of Arzew some 25 miles
east of Oran, Algeria. So the Rangers were in the MTO/ETO right from the
beginning.

What do you all think of this?

Frank Frey

"The only difference between myself and a madman is that I am not mad!"
  Salvador Dali