RE: [WW] The Lancaster & Game Layout

> >From: "J. Prentice" <Pren2@fsuimail.ferris.edu>
> >/snip
> >/
> >/also, i was wondering what "fun" things other WM's
> are doing out there for
> >/their groups to make things more interesting
> (special events, unique
> >/advnetures, game layout, etc).

Here’s what we did.  Our campaign started on D-Day, so
we staged the landing at Omaha Beach.

We had about 100 plastic army men in shallow boxes
representing the landing craft  at one end of the
living room.  The Germans were at the other.  First
round – everybody out of the boat.  Try not to drown.
Whichever army men got to the wire line (represented
by the couch) survived the landing.

We drew up quick rules for getting pinned, taking
cover in mortar craters, morale, leadership and
artillery.  The artillery was a riot.  Our WM hid
behind the couch and launched pennies and nickels into
the room while one of us called for adjustment.

Rather than run player characters who we all
subconsciously knew would survive the landing, our WM
decided to make things a little more interesting.  We
each made up 10 potential characters – names and
character class and 2 or 3 sentences of background,
and numbered each description.  We marked the
underside of the bases of certain army men with those
same numbers.   When a figure died, we turned him
over.  If he was numbered, that was the character that
bit it.  (One character didn’t even make it out of the
boat.)  You got to pick your character from the
survivors.

So now we’re playing the Surviving Numbered Plastic
Army Men of Omaha Beach.  It made a cool beginning to
the game.  Each of us has stories about "the one that
almost got me."

Ashley

=====
"I'll turn him into a flea.  A harmless, little flea."