RE: [WW] To Weird or not to weird

> The reason I ask is because I started a group with no
> supernatural things & it didn't last. I even had two regular
> players who decided they didn't want to play because it was
> "too realistic" for them.

You've raised a very interesting point, mAdHaTtEr. Something that I have
considered myself recently. You see, I ran an RPGA game at a UK
convention last weekend. I was very concerned about how 'my public'
would react to my game - which, in essence, was in the theme of the
first Indiana Jones movie / holocaust / Band of Brothers / Night of the
Living Dead mould! Or to put it another way: fun -> Nazis -> occult ->
serious -> bonding -> pure horror. Being a War Master at such events can
be a problem: you don't know your audience, and they don't know your
style.

I am pleased (relieved) to say that I seemed to get it right as no-one
left after I gave my introduction (or during the game!), where I
addressed from the start, the kind of issue you raise in this post.

> Does the supernatural edge help take away from the
> real horror
> that was WWII & make it easier to play the game?

In my opinion, not at all (the supernatural does not take away from the
real horror). I believe that the reason why we find WWII so emotive is
because it is so recent in our minds; it's still within living memory.
The Weird Wars setting of the American Civil War will be less . . .
intense . . . insofar as although it is a part of American history, for
most of us it will just that: history.

(BTW: I am British, mother Norwegian in occupied Norway during WWII.
Grandfather was Norwegian officer involved in the Norwegian resistance.)

The feelings for war, any war, are tempered by time, and it seems to me
that the more removed the period is from the way we live (and fight
wars) today, the easier it is to deal with the 'reality' of the time in
a game.

As to whether horror makes it easier to deal with the issue of WWII? I
would say: yes. However I think it comes down to you, your players, and
everyone's expectation.

> On the other hand, two of my players didn't want to have any
> weirdness
> because they thought it was an "insult" to the memory of the
> real soliders.

With that mindset you probably weren't going to get them to enjoy ANY
game set in ANY war of the twentieth century to which they can relate.

Personally I don't have any problem with it. I think you have to point
out that, regardless of how likely it was that the higher echelons of
the Nazi war machine actually dabbled in the occult - the reality, as
far as we know - is that they did not. Apart from a few cranks and
borderline academics on the fringe of accepted study, the general
consensus is that the Nazis were bad - possibly mad - but in no way
inspired by demonic forces or ideals, at least not in the classic sense.
And certainly not in the way that is portrayed in Weird Wars!

> IMHO I think there is room for both, but I gotta tell you -
> escapism can be
> a lot more fun than pure realism.

Again, I agree.

I am happy to use Weird War II as both a setting for games during the
period (without weirdness) or with weirdness.

I was brought up on the classic Hollywood post-war 'feel good' war
movies. During the post-war years the agenda was simple: make us
(Allies) look good, the enemy (Axis) look bad. A massive generalisation,
but one that I believe to be true.

With Weird Wars you can adopt the *Kelly's Heroes* approach or the
*Saving Private Ryan* approach - either fun with 'reality' (and then add
Weird War horror) or hard core realism (and perhaps Weird War horror),
but for me, with either approach, you are playing the 'good guys'. I
cannot stress this enough.

I rationalise Weird Wars like this (if I may use a current analogy from
the Lord of the Rings):

Hitler, Himmler et al are Sauron and Saruman; the Nine black riders are
the ruling Nazi party members of the day; the SS are the Uruk Hai; the
Gestapo the orcs, etc., etc.

The Office of Supernatural Investigations are the members of the White
Council, fighting against the machinations of an evil empire that will
threaten to take over the world if they are not stopped.

(You get the idea.)

How much you choice to detail the journey through the Mines of Moria
(Wewelsburg) or the slave pits of Sauron (any concentration camp) are
entirely up to you.

Best of luck with Weird War II and your players. For myself I love it,
and although the genre will not be to everyone's taste, the principle
behind the *game* is absolutely brilliant.

I suspect, especially with the announcement by Chaosium for 'Pulp
Cthulhu', that other companies might well be regretting that they didn't
do it first. :-)

Robbie