[WW] Re: Pirates - Veering Way OT

Interestingly there is the forthcoming Skull & Bones
D20 Pirate game. It looks as if it is based on Tim
Powers' magnificent 'On Stranger Tides' so it is
straight history plus a little weirdness. There is a
Yahoo group on it and a homepage -somewhere.

I am more comfortable with more exotic settings (I am
British so even modern America counts as somewhat
exotic). The further away a setting is in time the
freer one is, WW II is a bit close for comfort, even
WW I. Though I do love the Victorian setting. Weird
Colonial Wars anyone?

It is interesting to see all the D20 settings that are
coming out. I am becoming a little concerned at how
they are all going to mesh together - I think there
are at least two ship systems (Mongoose and FFG) and
even more vehicle systems.

The Starfarers Handbook from FFG is interesting. I
have just got it (along with the two new Weirdwars
books) and although I don't intend to use the setting
(though I think it tremendously clever) they seem to
have done very good work with the system, adapting it
for a more modern setting. After this I am very keen
to see their Seafarer's Handbook (will order it in
March along with the eagerly awaited CoC D20 and
Traveller D20).

Michael