Re: [WW] Chainmail and Wierd Wars?

I have played Chainmail fairly regularly ever since its release in October.
Its a pretty decent game for skirmishes and for those people who want to get
into playing a miniatures game, but dont want to play Warhammer or
MageKnight.

The rules themselves are very similar to the D20 combat system.  The only
dice you need to play is a D20.  Every model has a AC and a Attack Bonus,
saving throws and so on.  They have converted some things into inches (such
as movement).  A D&D character with a 30 movement would be able to move 6
inches in Chainmail (they just divided by 5).

The nice thing about Chainmail is they give you guidelines for converting
D&D characters and monsters into Chainmail stats.  Now mind you this isnt a
exact process...but it works fairly well.

As far as using Chainmail rules for playing Weird Wars skirimishes is
concerned I think it is definately doable.  In fact my friends and I were
playing around with Chainmail conversions trying to come up with cool
warbands to play, so I converted some Nazi Brutes and other Weird Wars
characters into Chainmail stats.  It was pretty fun to see my machine gun
emplacement get charged by a bunch of Gnolls.

In some ways I could see Weird Wars combat benefiting from using chainmail
rules, if your a Warmaster who likes to use a lot of big complicated combat
encounters with miniatures then it would be a big help.  I can already see
the Normandy invasion happening using the Chainmail rules.  Probably would
be a lot of fun.

However if you mostly use small skirimshes or combat that invloves NPC's or
creatures of a similar level to your PC's then Id suggest to just use the 5"
sqare map.

The one unique thing Chainmail has for its commanders are things called
"command points" they are like leadership points that your commander uses to
tell his troops what to do.  If you wanted to be realistic or if your having
troubles with your PC's following thier PC Lt. then this would solve all
those problems.  If the Lt. spends enough command points that "grunt" is too
intimitaded by his commander to not do what he said.  It would help keep
players in line and force them to do more realistic things.

So to sum up I think that you can definately use WWII stats to convert into
Chainmail stats.  Its a different (sometimes quicker) way to determine
combat.  Right now I DM D&D and I normally use the grid map for normal
monster combat, but when the PC's get into situations where they are
fighting a mass battle or storming a castle or something I break out the
Chainmail rules.

Id like to hear what other people think of this, and Id like to see some
peoples conversions.  I converted the Nazi Brutes so if anyone is interested
in seeing those stats Id be happy to share them (unless for some reason its
illegal to do so).

-Eric Thorson