RE: Re: [WW] Re: A New System and Goodbye to D20

"richard spangle" <lost_rich@hotmail.com> wrote:
>want clunky but fun? try playing ALTERNITY some time. system with a lot of
>potential, but like every other system with hope, it's dead.

Don't get me started on the game with the most potential in that last 10 years that got canned for the greed of Big Corps...

Alterntiy's greatest attribute was the ease with which I could 'wing' so much of an adventure...  The system was very easy to 'eye-ball' and move on.  I own every book they put out for it.

Now, back to Wierd Wars and D20.  As an old school gamer, I resented them screwing with my tried and true AD&D system, and the only reason I bought the D20 PHB and DMG was to run Wierd Wars.  Just so you know.  Not as good a system as Alternity, but I could see the potential.  And had I known that the core of D20 is available for FREE to download from the WotC website, I would not have bothered with their books.

My future plans for my Wierd Wars Campaign, after we exhaust the Private Ryan and A Bridge Too Far material, was to incorporate either time travel,   or little cavern doorways to other D&D like places where I could then incorporate the volumes of other material that is READY TO USE...  MG on Beholder?  Full Auto, even?  Just like Alternity, the possibilities are endless.

By the way, when I ran my first session of WWII, I started my players in a Higgins boat, landing on the beach.  Now, I didn't need any fancy mechanics to handle the thousands of soldiers on the beach and on the shore, in bunkers and firing artillery from miles away...  If I wanted to play a table top miniatures battle game, I'd do that.

You have a good product in a decent system for me and my circle of gaming friends, and by the entusiasm on this list, a lot of other folks.