[WW] um... i'm not sure what subject...

>From: Michael Robert Blair <pellinoire@yahoo.com>
>
>Other Systems
>I have been playing since 1984 and have bought a lot
>of systems over the years. Not all of them get played
>and some get shelved after a single session (and one
>(Underworld) is not played because a player's mother
>watched 'Beauty and the Beast').
---------------->
late 70's here. like you, my library looks like a "who's who" of the gaming
industry. you want dumb, try EXPENDABLES. bad engine. bad writing. preschool
art (and i should know because my wife is a preschool teacher)...

>I quite liked Alternity but we always seem to go back
>to STOCS or CoC.
------------>
ALTERNITY is great. it allows for reasonable speed of play and high ranking
characters who can still be killed with a single shot (i especially like the
quality system <<<ordinary/good/amazing results>>> and how it relates to
damage type depending on the weapon). and since your "hit points" in the
game don't go up much over the course, it teaches players that their
characters are really REALLY mortal.

>The Ideal system is simple, realistic and flexible.
>Simple: One mechanism. Easily learned. A minimum of
>modifiers.
>Realistic. Sensible results.
>Flexible. I want a system that can go from the gritty
>realism of the trenches of the Great War to a wall
>jumping Matrix setting.
>Oh yes, it does not use cards or counters.
-------------------->
the problem with the "ideal system" is it cannot be created. every system i
have ever encountered eventually get's "tweeked" to death. in example:  i'm
an old STARFLEET BATTLES player. game was good. had several annoying flaws
for the purpose of game detail. but we lived with it. a stack of years ago a
company produced a tactical game similiar to SFB based on the BABYLON 5
universe. they took many of the flaws that SFB had and ironed them out. the
system ran great save for a few minor problems. these got "tweeked". then
other things got "tweeked" for "realism of game play". now, years later, the
system is complex and in some cases annoying.  that's the problem, every
time designers "tweek" a system it get's more complex and annoying. 3E D&D
was a nice jump back. simple. fast. easy to learn. but it is slowly being
"tweeked" to death too.

i am interested in seeing Wild Card too, got me ?Q? up about it so i look
forward to seeing it. my group has a saying too...
"you bring it, we'll play it..."
that should be true for all gamers. give every system a try and don't be
critical of the system just from the previews.
IMHO...

...the rich
"what can you tell us about the guy you saw?"
"he was cucasian..."
"cucasian?"
"ya. you know, a white guy. with a mustache, about six foot three."
"awfully big mustache."
-------------------> can you name this movie?