Re: [WW] Re: Systems [Not quite so OT as before]

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 09:14:34 EDT PEGShane@aol.com writes:
> > i'm sorry, perhaps we should agree to disagree, but i've played a
>> lot of games over the years and the DL Classic initiative system *is*
>> stylish, and it's *cool*, and it *fits* the setting like no other --
but  faster
> > than d20 it ain't.
>
> Okay. I should have explained myself better. Mea culpa. Deadlands
> (to me) moves faster because one round of combat *usually* sums up what

> about 3-5 rounds of D20 combat does, due to multiple actions, wounds
versus
> hit points, etc.

Whew!  i thought maybe i was the only person who saw a discrepency there.
=)

> Our group also had trouble remembering their Init. ;) We usually play
with
> 6-8 people, and by the time it gets back around to you, people forget.
Maybe
> we're all old and senile.

That's why i *do* use cards in d20. The WM has a stack of index cards,
one for each player and one for each group of bad guys. Each card has the
character's name on it.  When initiative is rolled at the begining of
each combat, the WM arranges the cards in order of highest initiative to
lowest. First guys goes, and the WM glances at the next card to give that
player a heads up, and we just cycle through the cards.

Yes, all the bad guys tend to go on the same initiative, and if you use
the variant where everyone rerolls initiative every round, then cards
aren't worth the effort.

i do sometimes lose track of what round it is and sometimes refocusing
causes me to pause and rearrange a card or two, but for the most part
this system rocks.  It wasn't my idea, but i'm sure glad i started using
it. It's way faster than writing down the initiative numbers and then
scanning the list for the next highest one.

Happy Gaming, =)

screenmonkey

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.