Re: [WW] Re: A New System and Goodbye to D20

--- Jeremy Reaban <jer@connectria.com> wrote:
> 1) Not lethal enough?
>
> Lower the massive damage rules from 50 hp to 10 hp.
> A 'hit' from a
> .50 will now kill the average person.  (Call of
> Cthulhu takes this
> tack). Lower it 5, and any hit will be deadly.

What about non-massive damage? Should that just be
raised across the board?

> 2) It's too hard to keep track of hit points for
> NPCs
>
> Don't give them hit points. When they get hit, they
> die.  This is
> stupid, but it seems to be exactly what wild card
> will do.

This is a fine fix for most games. Like someone else
said, FengShui does this with Mooks. I've taken to
running most games as such, not because folks die easy
but because most people usually stop fighting back
when they get lead put in 'em.

> I think the other complaint was initiative, and that
> complaint was
> pretty stupid - d20's initiative is about as fast as
> it gets. Sorry it
> doesn't use playing cards, like Pinnacle feels all
> games must, but
> that doesn't make it more complicated.

It's not a stupid complaint, it's completely
legitimate. That is one of those universal quests, the
faster initiative. d20 works for you, cards work for
Shane. I personally never had a faster initiative than
in Battlelords. From the sound of it, "Wild Card" is
going to be an excellent little system because it's
being made by a GM for GMs. If your style of play
matches his, there ya go, if not, that's why there's
not an industry standard.

> Again, game design is not exactly brain surgey. But
> not to fanboys
> like yourself. What an asshole you are

You're right, game design isn't brain surgery. Game
Design relies on the fickle nature of the audience. A
bland system won't fly unless it's got an old name
behind it (opinion:cough D&D cough). A system with
style though will keep people coming back. Feng shui
is a decent example of this, it sets up everything as
movie shots and cuts. Another is BESM, the system is
super simple and quick allowing for grandiose anime
scenes. And 7th sea has drama point things (not too
familiar with it) to create swashbuckling escapades
while delivering quips to your opponent. Game Design
is much harder than just slapping down some number
averages and making sure dice need be involved. It's a
time consuming, near-thankless job wherein you get
berated for trying to introduce anything new.

He wasn't trying to be an @$$hole, that's why he said,
> > just wondering. please forgive the inproper
> questioning...
He just wanted to know if you've been doing this for a
while and what your breadth of knowledge was or if you
were a d20 advocate (read:fanboy) who was sniveling
over someone not liking their favorite game and taking
their ideas elsewhere.

Jim

PS - fanboys are what keep this hobby alive.